One of the best things about Greek cuisine is that each table offers an opportunity to sample many different dishes. A range of dishes are often placed in the middle so every gets to helps themselves to a sample of each dish. Finally, the delicious juices can be mopped up with a hunk of crusty bread. Sardeles Lemonates is the perfect dish for sharing and should be a staple at any table.
Sardeles Lemonates (Sardines in Lemon Sauce)
22nd Aug 2019Posted by Ben Bland
Garides Saganaki (Baked Prawns in Tomato Sauce)
When it comes to seafood look no further than Greek cuisine, and Garides Saganaki is a perfect example of this. It’s a quick yet delicious Greek appetizer of prawns in a tomato sauce topped with gorgeous Feta cheese, perfect for long warm summer evenings with a glass of wine or Ouzo.
7th Aug 2019Posted by Ben Bland
Bourekakia Melitzanas: 3 Cheese Eggplant Appetizer Rolls Recipe
A mixture of three delicious kinds of cheese marks the filling for thin slices of eggplant that are rolled, dipped in flour, breadcrumbs, and egg, then fried to perfection. Make these in large batches because they will disappear very quickly!
Yield: about 50 pieces
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 7 ounces (200 gr) of feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 1/2 (100 gr) ounces of kefalotyri (or pecorino), grated
- 1 3/4 ounces (50 gr) of edam cheese, grated
- 5 ounces (150 gr) of fresh dill, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 pound (225 gr) of crushed toasted bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound (225 gr) of flour
- Oil for frying
- 2 1/4 pounds (1 kg) of large eggplants
Beat the egg with the one cup of water until fully combined.
In a frying pan, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil over medium heat. Add flour and, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, cook until golden. Add evaporated milk and the water-egg mixture and cook to combine thoroughly. The colour may darken.
Set aside to cool to room temperature and transfer to a mixing bowl.
Stir in cheeses and dill.
Trim eggplant stems and ends and cut in very thin slices lengthwise (around 50 slices total). Add several tablespoons of oil to a frying pan and sauté the eggplant slices until softened and lightly browned.
Take a rounded teaspoon of the filling and with hands, form into a small sausage shape. Place at one end of an eggplant strip and roll up.
To fry: Roll each eggplant roll in flour, dip in beaten egg, roll in toasted bread crumbs, and dip in egg once again. Fry in 1/4 inch of hot oil.
Serve hot and enjoy!
23rd Jul 2019Posted by Ben Bland
FOR THE DOUGH
FOR THE FILLING
3rd Jul 2019Posted by Ben Bland
Manitarosoupa (Mushroom Soup) Recipe
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stalks.
- Set aside 100g (1/4lb) leaving them whole, and finely chop the remaining mushrooms.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pan and soften the onion and garlic.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and sauté.
- Pour in the chicken stock, season with nutmeg, salt and pepper then cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the whole mushrooms.
- Pour in the milk and add to the soup.
- Serve the soup in deep plates with a splash of cream, and garnish with parsley.
12th Feb 2019Posted by Ben Bland
A hearty and nutritious soup, this is considered to be the national dish of Greece, the staple food of the army and every poor man’s meal – so great for the crisis! It is usually made at home or at village festivals; do not expect to find it in many restaurants. It can become a substantial meal by adding pieces of pork, bacon or sausage and the kids will love it.
(Image Via http://www.mygreekdish.com/)
15th Jan 2019Posted by Ben Bland
Black-eyed beans stewed with greens